|Flickr Photo by guigo.eu (cc)|
But bike accidents arent car accidents. There is a much greater chance of injury. The law is much more ambiguous. And, unfortunately, police departments do not necessarily always handle these situations well.
Here are a few things you might want:
- WABA's FAQ on what to do when you had an accident. WABA has an accident form to download and carry in your bike bag in case you have an accident.
- WABA's summary of local traffic laws.
- League of American Bicyclists directory of attorney's
- Attorneys may give you a free consultation. You may be able to find reviews of local attorneys online.
- You may wish to consult your local bar association: DC Bar Association How to Hire and Work with a Lawyer; Virginia Bar Association does not provide lawyer referrals; American Bar Associations Find Legal Help.
- NOLO's article: Bicycle Accidents: What to Do After the Crash
- Bicycling Magazine's How to Handle a Bike-Crash
Witnesses: get names of all the witnesses - and fellow cyclists - if you witnessed the accident, stop and make sure the cyclist get's your name.
Be safe out there.